REQUESTS FOR APPLICATIONS
CACHET seeks applications for Pilot Projects for research that addresses environmental, biological and/or social factors influencing environmental health in our communities
Applications are required to propose using one or more of the CACHET Cores
The CACHET Community Engagement Core (CEC)
The CACHET Biomarkers Core
(particularly for research using the new ICP-MS equipment for metals analysis)
The CACHET Integrative Health Sciences Facility Core (IHSFC)
The CACHET Microbiome Core
DEADLINES: LOI – May 1 / Application – May 22, 2020
- All CACHET members.
- Collaboration with non-members for specific expertise is allowed.
- Utilization of CACHET Core Facilities (Integrated Health Science Facilities Core [IHSFC], Biomarkers- Mass Spectrometry, Microbiome) or interaction with CEC is mandatory. Note: IHSFC has multiple resources, including COMPASS and other large bio-/data-banks (https://www.chicago-cachet.org/facility-cores/ihsfacilitycore/) for most investigations that can be leveraged. IHSFC also provides study design and statistical planning or analysis.
- Proposal mechanisms are as follows:
- Young Investigator Awards: (a) a hypothesis-based EHS research project that requires generation of preliminary data; (b) no prior history of federal grant support; and (c) a strong mentorship plan with a CACHET member. The application must include a letter from a faculty sponsor describing the mentoring plan and timeline to seek independent grant funding.
- Idea Awards: The project must be related to EHS research, with particular emphasis placed on areas of interest of CACHET Focus Groups and/or activities of CACHET Cores (see CACHET Website).
- Inter-Institutional Awards: The project must be a collaborative research project between investigators at UIC and UChicago, must show tangible synergy, and must be related to EHS research. The application must contain:
- Rationale paragraph justifying collaboration across institutions (i.e., complementary expertise and/or resources from two institutions).
- Paragraph outlining plans for a collaborative team science proposal to outside agencies.
- Special Topic (COVID-19) Awards: The project must address an environmental factor that is relevant to and/or affects COVID-19 infections.
- This can take the form of an Idea Award-type proposal or an Inter-Institutional-type proposal and abide by the above indicated requirements of one of these mechanisms.
Budget and Project Duration:
- Young Investigator Awards: up to $25,000 for one year; may include a request for salary support for the PI. Renewal for an additional year upon a meritorious progress report may be considered.
- Idea Awards: up to $25,000 for one year; may not include salary support for the PI.
- Inter-Institutional Awards: up to $35,000 for one year; may not include salary support for the PI. Renewal for one more year upon a meritorious progress report may be considered.
- Special Topic Awards: up to $25,000 for Idea-type awards – up to $35,000 for Inter-Institutional awards, both for one year.
- Tuition support and travel cannot be included in the budget
Notes: Recommended budget amount and/or duration for funded applications may be adjusted by the CACHET Executive Committee. F&A costs cannot be included in pilot project budgets.
Half-inch margins, Arial 11 point font
Required sections and page limitations:
- Specific Aims – One page
- Research Plan – up to 3 pages.
- Hypothesis/Specific Aims
- Research Approach
- Paragraph about plans for future grant application
- Budget and budget justification
- Supporting documents (e.g. letters of support).
Applications Submission:Apply Now
- Letter of Intent: Requested by May 1, 2020, but it is not mandatory.
- Application Deadline: May 22, 2020
- Proposal Reviews: Completed by June 26, 2020; Funding Decision by July 1, 2020
- Project Start Date: July 1, 2020