REQUEST FOR APPLICATIONS
CACHET seeks applications for Pilot Projects for research that addresses environmental, biological and/or social factors influencing environmental health in our communities
Applications are required to propose using one or more of the CACHET Cores
- The CACHET Community Engagement Core (CEC) | https://www.chicago-cachet.org/community/cec/
- The CACHET Biomarkers Core (particularly for research using the new ICP-MS equipment for metals analysis)
- The CACHET Integrative Health Sciences Facility Core (IHSFC)
- The CACHET Microbiome Core
LOI – October 15 / Application – November 1
- All CACHET members.
- Collaboration with non-members for specific expertise is allowed.
- Utilization of CACHET Core Facilities (Integrated Health Science Facilities Core [IHSFC], Biomarkers, Microbiome) or interaction with CEC is mandatory. Note: IHSFC has multiple resources, including COMPASS and other large bio-/data-banks (https://www.chicago-cachet.org/facility-cores/ihsfacilitycore/) for most investigations that can be leveraged.
- Proposal mechanisms are as follows:
- Young Investigator Awards: (a) a hypothesis-based EHS research project that requires generation of preliminary data; (b) no prior history of federal grant support; and (c) a strong mentorship plan with a CACHET member. The application must include a letter from a faculty sponsor describing the mentoring plan and timeline to seek independent grant funding.
- Idea Awards: The project must be related to EHS research, with particular emphasis placed on areas of interest of CACHET Focus Groups and/or activities of CACHET Cores (see CACHET Website).
- Inter-Institutional Awards: The project must be a collaborative research project between investigators at UIC and UChicago, must show tangible synergy, and must be related to EHS research. The application must contain:
- Rationale paragraph justifying collaboration across institutions (i.e., complementary expertise and/or resources from two institutions)
- Paragraph outlining plans for a collaborative team science proposal to outside agencies
- ICP-MS Support Awards: For ongoing or new research to include measurement of metal content (a) in samples not previously tested, or (b) in samples previously assayed at another laboratory. The later assessments will be of high value to the new ICP-MS facility in the CACHET Biomarkers Core for validation of reproducibility and sensitivity.
Budget and Project Duration*:
- Young Investigator Awards: up to $25,000 for one year; may include a request for salary support for the PI. Renewal for an additional year upon a meritorious progress report may be considered.
- Idea Awards: up to $25,000 for one year; may not include salary support for the PI.
- Inter-Institutional Awards: up to $35,000 for one year; may not include salary support for the PI. Renewal for one more year upon a meritorious progress report may be considered.
- ICP-MS Support Awards: up to $5,000 per project, and used for the costs of the ICP-MS assays. Please contact Amanda Abramson for new ICP-MS pricing structure.
Recommended budget amount and/or duration for funded applications may be adjusted by the CACHET Executive Committee.
F&A costs cannot be included in pilot budgets.
Half-inch margins, Arial 11 point font
For Proposals for ICP-MS Support: Up to two pages that includes:
- Introduction/Background that describes ongoing or new research area necessitating metals measurements.
- Description of samples to be assayed: numbers, types, etc.
- If pertinent, describe past assessments of metals measurements undertaken.
- Budget and budget justification
- Supporting documents (e.g. previous measures summary).
For Young Investigator Awards, Idea Awards, Inter-Institutional Awards:
- Specific Aims – One page
- Research Plan – up to 3 pages.
- Hypothesis/Specific Aims
- Research Approach
- Paragraph about plans for future grant application
- Budget and budget justification
- Supporting documents (e.g. letters of support).
- Letter of Intent: Requested by October 15, 2019, but it is not mandatory.
- Application Deadline: November 1, 2019
- Proposal Reviews: Completed by December 13, 2019; Funding Decision by December 20, 2019
- Project Start Date: January 2, 2020.