CACHET PILOT PROJECT PROGRAM: REQUEST FOR APPLICATIONS
The goal of the Pilot Projects Program is to enable investigators at UIC and UChicago to generate preliminary data supporting NIH applications in Environmental Health Science (EHS) research. The likelihood of success for future funding is a key criterion in the review of the proposals.
- Young Investigator Awards: CACHET affiliate members (Research Associates, and Instructors) or CACHET members (Research Assistant Professors and Assistant Professors).
- Idea Awards: CACHET members or participants in the CACHET Community Engagement Core (CEC)
- Inter-Institutional Award: Proposals that are co-led by two CACHET members; one from each institution, with complementary expertise.
- NEW: Utilization of CACHET Core Facilities (Integrated Health Science Facilities Core [IHSFC], Biomarkers, Microbiome) or interaction with CEC is mandatory. Please see CACHET website (https://www.chicago-cachet.org/) for Core Facility resources. Note: IHSFC has multiple resources for most investigations that can be leveraged.
- Young Investigator Awards: (a) an hypothesis-based EHS research project that requires generation of preliminary data; (b) no prior history of federal grant support; and (c) a strong mentorship plan with a CACHET member. The application must include a letter from a faculty sponsor describing the mentoring plan and timeline to seek independent grant funding.
- Idea Awards: The project must be related to EHS research, with particular emphasis placed on areas of interest of CACHET Focus Groups and/or activities of CACHET Cores (see CACHET Website).
- Inter-Institutional Awards: The project must be collaborative research between investigators at UIC and UChicago, must show tangible synergy, and must be related to EHS research. The application must contain:
- a rationale paragraph justifying collaboration across institutions (i.e., complementary expertise and/or resources from two institutions)
- a paragraph outlining plans for a collaborative team science proposal to outside agencies.
Budget and Project Duration*:
- Young Investigator Awards: up to $25,000 for one year; may include a request for salary support for the PI. Renewal for an additional year upon a meritorious progress report may be considered.
- Idea Awards: up to $25,000 for one year; may not include salary support for the PI.
- Inter-Institutional Awards: up to $35,000 for one year; may not include salary support for the PI. Renewal for one more year upon a meritorious progress report may be considered.
*Recommended budget amount and/or duration for funded applications may be adjusted by the CACHET Executive Committee.
Proposal Format: Half-inch margins, Arial 11 point font
- Specific Aims – One page
- Research Plan – up to 3 pages.
- Hypothesis/Specific Aims
- Research Approach
- Paragraph about plans for future grant application
- Budget and budget justification
- Supporting documents (e.g. letters of support).
- Letter of Intent: Requested by November 7, 2018, but it is not mandatory.
- Application Deadline: November 30, 2018
- Proposal Reviews: Completed by January 15, 2019
- Project Start Date: January 31, 2019.